I ended up with a long list of ideas, none of which felt right. So I decided to put it on the back burner for a while, and let the ideas stew. A week or so later, I found a project in an October 2009 copy of Quilter's World that set me on my path again. It was an autumn themed bargello quilt, with borders on only two sides that were made up of pieced maple leaf blocks. It provided the inspiration, but it was far too large to use the actual pattern.
I knew that while Melissa loves autumn, I wanted to make her something that could hang in her house year round. I really wanted to take advantage of the color gradation factor inherent in bargello quilts, so I came up with a list of 5 themes that I thought she would like; Night, Dawn, Sunset, Meadow, and Ocean. I then sent her a weird cryptic little message asking for her gut reactions to a few things. Based on those I decided to go with something based on the night sky. Perhaps a little Aurora Borealis...
Here's what I accomplished last weekend:
|Colors all laid out together.|
|Stripped units, ready to be cut down.|
|All sliced up and ready to be arranged|
|Under 2 feet square is a small space to do 15 strips!|
|All squared up.|
Today I managed to get the borders on, the whole thing quilted, and bound. It's amazing how fast you can quilt, when the item has to be under 2' square.