Friday, August 27, 2010

Turkey Ham & Corn Chowder

Jim and I made this for dinner tonight, and it was so tasty I had to share it.  Usually I do the majority of the cooking in our house, but when Jim does cook, he usually goes all out and makes something very large and time consuming, which usually involves cast iron, and a roux.  Tonight was one of those nights when I just didn't know what to make for dinner, and didn't really want to cook.  I had some turkey ham to use up, and found a version of this recipe online, hoping I could get Jim to help me.  Truth be told, he did most of the cooking tonight, while I got to enjoy playing sous chef by chopping things.  I added in the sherry & fresh parsley, while he added the paprika to the list.  Enjoy!


Turkey Ham & Corn Chowder

2 shallots, diced (or onions if that’s what you have)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 pinch of paprika
1 quart skim milk
2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
1 ½ cups frozen corn
½ - ¾ pound Turkey Ham cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 tablespoons fresh parsley, snipped
1 tablespoon sherry

Directions
Heat a 3-quart saucepan (or a cast iron dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Sauté shallots in oil for 3 minutes or until translucent. 

Blend in flour, pepper & paprika. Remove pan from heat; slowly add milk, stirring constantly. 

Return pan to heat. Add potatoes; bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly. Add corn and turkey ham; return mixture to boil.
 
Reduce heat to low and simmer soup for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and mixture has thickened. Add the snipped fresh parsley and the sherry just before it’s finished cooking.


*** In other news, Alison's wedding quilt is officially done!  I just finished photographing it in the house, but I want to take a few more pictures in daylight tomorrow.  Maybe on my porch swing...   

I'm also dedicating myself to quilting and hopefully embellishing the mini-art quilt tomorrow.  Wish me luck!***

No comments:

Post a Comment