Friday, January 14, 2011

Mug Rugs - Part I

While wandering the swap boards the other day, I discovered the Mug Rug Swap.  How did I not know about these before?!  They are so very me!


For those of you who haven't seen them either, a Mug Rug is somewhere between an over-sized coaster and a mini-placemat.   Or as my husband noted, somewhere between a doll quilt and a saucer!  The idea is that you should be able to fit a mug full of your favorite beverage and a small snack on it.  I clearly joined the swap about 2.6 seconds after discovering it.  As we are still in the Sign-Up stage, we don't have partners for me to stalk yet,  but here I am itching to make some anyways.  What's a girl to do?  How about some practice Mug Rugs?

This was my first.  I busted out some metallic threads and fancy stitches on my sewing machine.  I actually think it matches my work mug rather well.

This is my second one.  I found a single fat quarter of the red Celtic knots a few years ago, and could never quite decide what to make with it.  I'm pretty pleased with this one.  I think I'll start using it in my office at work, since my office is starting to become pirate themed, with lots of black and red around the room.  (My office also doubles as the student office, supply room, and general visiting area for the Theatre Department.)


This last one has to be my favorite though.  I just really love how it came out.  The fabrics were rescued from the scrap bin, and was originally from two student's pajama pants, and another student's shirt project.
It's hard to tell in the photo, but the quilting thread matches the color of the little green owl.

And the back:

The cookies in the photographs are Magic Peanut Butter Middles, and were made by my awesome husband.

2 comments:

  1. i'd never heard of a mug rug either, but i think its an adorable idea, and love your examples!

    ReplyDelete