Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sneak Peek: Costume Shop Quilt

At the end of last semester I was talking to Grace, who works for me at my Costume Shop.  We had been working on making the Shop more comfortable and inviting.  She was kind enough to donate a new futon to our office and scored us a free coffee table.  We made new pillows for the futon, but decided that what it really needed was a quilt.  A sewing themed quilt.  Fortunately dear friend Melissa (of the MAQ fame) had sent me the perfect fabric, Alexander Henry's Sew Now Sew Wow.

I loved the busy print, and thought it a shame to slice and dice it too much.  I didn't have quite enough to do a whole cloth quilt, but could come close...  Thus inspired, I sketched out the design and set about making the patterns for the blocks.  All of my student workers got in on the process, and each one helped in creating the 5 blocks.  Grace has completed a majority of the quilting.  I'm hoping to finish the quilting this week, then bind it over the weekend.

Here's a sneak peek at some of the blocks.
Pin Cushion
Heart
Thread & Thimble
Detail of fabric & free motion quilting.

The multi-talented Grace also has experience painting murals and we decided to put that talent to good use on the Shop walls.  Inspired by the stylized design of fabric, Grace sketched out the mural on our shop walls.  Over Winter Break her and I came in to paint it together.  Here are the results:
Including: flower, machine, zipper, safety pin, button, rotary cutter, needle & thread, seam ripper.

Dress form, tape measure, pin cushion, thimble, iron, tracing wheel, bobbin, thread, scissors, hip curve, hanger & TO DO List.

Whole mural, completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment